Send to Kindle
- A brain injury occurs ever 23 seconds in the United States. (BIA-USA, 2006)
- TBI is more prevalent in the US than breast cancer, HIV/AIDS, MS, and spinal chord injuries. (Center for Disease Control)
- 5.3 million Americans are currently living with disabilities resulting from TBI, and 80-90,000 join their ranks each year. (Center for Disease Control)
- Brain injury is the leading cause of death and disability for people between the ages of 15-24. (CDC)
- The cost of TBI in the United States is estimated to be $60 million each year. (CDC)
- Falls and vehicle crashes are the leading cause of brain injury.
Stay tuned. I am working with the Medical University of South Carolina to institute the inaugrual 5k run/walk to take place in Charleston, SC in 2011. All proceeds will benefit continued research in brain injury.